Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Big Cabs!

"I think it is a great error to consider a heavy tax on wines as a tax on luxury. On the contrary, it is a tax on the health of our citizens." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Wow, it's been quite some time since I last posted. My apologies, I've been super busy, though haven't we all...?

Last Saturday I had the pleasure of tasting some very big California Cabs. We indulged in Caymus, Star Lane, Rubicon Estate Cask, and Groth, among others. These were my favorites:

2006 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon - Lush and well rounded with low acidity, dark berries, and fine tannins.

2005 Star Lane Cabernet Sauvignon - This wine exhibited a nice balance, ripe fruit, and a memorable finish.

2005 Groth Cabernet Sauvignon - Blended with a bit of Merlot, this wine is on the softer side of "big cabs" but the fruit flavors are ripe and present. Soft tannins make for a really enjoyable wine right now. The wine maker also recommends aging for 10-15 years.

Cheers,
Tony

No comments: