Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Friends, food, and wine.

"In Vino, Veritas." Pliny the Elder

After a few months I'm back to tell the tale of wine. Well, at least the wine I've had the pleasure of tasting over the last few days. Here are some of the standouts:

2006 Bonterra Merlot Organic Grapes

As the name says, this wine is made from organically grown grapes, but that's not to say it doesn't taste good. Quite the contrary, this Merlot displayed pure, ripe, red fruit flavors with a decidedly smooth finish.

2005 Mezzacorona Pinot Noir

Italy is not well known for Pinot Noir, and, while this one won't change that anytime soon, I did enjoy it's bright cherry aroma and tight acidity. It will cut right through rich (fatty?) dishes.

I enjoyed these wines with good friends and one of my very favorite things to eat: Grilled Rib Eye Steaks! We threw in grilled zucchini, yellow squash, red and green bell peppers, and red onions for good measure. Simple and tasty.

Cheers,
Tony

No comments: